Students still not happy with decision
Figaro's, the popular pizza venue located in Regina Hall, will soon be ending its tenure at Saint Xavier by the end of the fall semester, as reported in the Sept. 14 issue of The Xavierite. The announcement to shut down the site and convert it into a study space for students was made in the beginning of the semester.
When students found out that Figaro's would be ending its services, a wave of disappointment struck the community.
"I think it's a stupid idea because there's already enough study space and it's a good community atmosphere that they're wasting," Amy DeRossi, a freshman majoring in elementary education, said.
Senior student Dan Gruzwalski, an elementary education student, also expressed his dissatisfaction with the decision. Gruzwalski said, "Everything has been closing. First Maurice's and now Figaro's. It takes away an option for a late night snack, especially since there's already not much of a selection."
Even though several students may be upset with the university's decision, the president of the Student Government Association (SGA), Brittany Jones, said that the changes were necessary.
"It's all part of a Chartwells' project. The new Subway in the Shannon Center and Starbucks in Morris Hall were meant to take the place of Figaro's," said Jones.
Jones also assured that the decision to replace Figaro's with a Subway and Starbucks would be beneficial for the university.
"With Figaro's, students were the ones who mainly purchased from the venue. Many of them, however, would use their meal plan to make their purchases," said Jones. "Now with the new Subway and Starbucks, a wider range of customers could buy from the venues. The Subway and Starbucks could bring more outside money from people living around the university."
Even though the Subway and Starbucks are attracting outside customers, several students are still not fond of the sites.
Timothy White, a freshman majoring in communications, expressed his disappointment with the Subway and said, "The Subway sucks and Figaro's is opened late. I live in Regina, so it's more convenient to go there than walk to Subway."
As for the future plans for the space left behind by the pizza venue, Peter Skach, director of facilities and services at Saint Xavier, said, "We are considering re-purposing some existing furniture throughout the Figaro's space temporarily to make it useful to students."
Skach also commented on what would happen with the restaurant's equipment once it closes. Skach said, "The equipment will be removed during the summer of 2012."
Eileen Doherty, Saint Xavier's dean of students, also commented on the Figaro's situation.
"While the University recognizes that the Figaro's space will need to be renovated, no definitive plans are in place at this time. In order to be least disruptive to students, any significant renovation would take place over the summer," said Doherty.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Xavierite News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE XAVIERITE NEWS
- The Importance of Film Preservation: Part Two
- The Must-Read Manga List: Love is in the Air
- No. 9 Saint Xavier Continues Climb Up Rankings; Keeps Winning
- University Addresses Safety Concerns
- Snooki Invades the History Channel?
- Domestic Incident Disturbs Komensky
- Women's Basketball Downs Judson; Stumbles Against Purdue Calumet
RECENT THE XAVIERITE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership