Students in CA and NY rally for tax to fund higher ed.
Thousands of student protestors in New York and California gathered at each respective state capitol Monday in obvious disapproval of the current way in which funds are being dispersed, calling for a millionaire's tax that would fund public higher education. Both protests, according to The Huffington Post, were organized separately but were united in solidarity and followed the March 1 nationwide demonstrations where Occupy College protests demanded that universities cease employee layoff and tuition hikes.
"We are going to the Capitol because refunding public education is urgent," said Richard Walker, co-chair of the Berkeley Faculty Association, as quoted in The Post. The protest had added significance in CA as the Bay Area News Group recently configured that going to public university in CA is over $13,000 more expensive than going to school at Harvard or Yale University.
The Post reported that CA's public universities lost more than $1 billion in support from the state in 2011-12 cuts. "We've cut billions of dollars and I've hated every minute of it," said Senate President Darrell Steinberg (D-Sacramento), the LA Times reports. An organized march with such massive numbers has yet to take place in Chicago this year.
Still, SXU freshman Becca Greve, a communication student, believes that those in the Chicago area should be paying attention to the protests. "I think they should wait and see what happens with the protests in New York and California and maybe then we could get some ideas on how to approach the issue," Greve said.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Xavierite News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE XAVIERITE NEWS
- The Importance of Film Preservation: Part Two
- The Must-Read Manga List: Love is in the Air
- No. 9 Saint Xavier Continues Climb Up Rankings; Keeps Winning
- University Addresses Safety Concerns
- Snooki Invades the History Channel?
- Domestic Incident Disturbs Komensky
- Women's Basketball Downs Judson; Stumbles Against Purdue Calumet
RECENT THE XAVIERITE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit